Coder Rewards Policy

Discussion in 'Coding' started by JamieH, Mar 15, 2017.

1. OP
    JamieH

JamieH Host Staff Member Head Admin

BYOND:
    JamieHankins
    We need to get more people into coding. so as of today I'm bringing in a new policy for coders and anyone who contributes code to our server. You can now earn up to 2 antag tokens per a pull request submitted and merged into our codebase.

• 2 antag tokens - Major feature, something like crit crawling pixel projectiles, or a new gamemode.
    • 1 antag tokens - Small feature, something like the cargo transporter or porting races.

Multiple bug fixes may also be eligible, but only for bug fixes to other peoples code.

Another thing: We're currently porting all of our old PRs to a new repo, all PRs made to the new repo will be worth 2 antag tokens until we switch over to that repo.

The super old repo can be found here: https://github.com/HippieStationCode/HippieStation13
    The old repo can be found here: https://github.com/HippieStation/HippieStation13
    The new repo can be found here: https://github.com/HippieStation/HippieStation

Please make yourself familiar with our coding standards to make sure you're PR gets merged with the least amount of hassle.

We reserve the right to not give any antag tokens if we deem you are abusing the system and all decisions will be made on a case by case basis by game masters/above or maintainers. Oh also we can remove this when ever we want or update it

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. solidfury

solidfury Game Admin Staff Member Game Admin

Absolutely lovely idea. +1

JamieH likes this.
  3. Omnitricks

Omnitricks Member

While its cool that there are attempts to try and get more coders to add things to the server, perhaps this is also a good time to add some sort of a system which would encourage them to add things that other players (a.k.a. the plebs which can't code) want to see/need aside from just the focus on adding new stuff.

Maybe something like some sort of annual vote (monthly or something) for new additions that players can use for new features. While the forums probably isn't the best representation of the playerbase it is at least an effective enough one to let people consider which are the additions which are welcome, instead of just the ones the coders want added.

It would also encourage coders to look at the suggestions/discussions here to consider when they are adding in stuff, instead of just focusing on git which wouldn't leave much room for discussion otherwise.

Banthebantz likes this.
  4. Banthebantz

Banthebantz Active Member

BYOND:
    Banthebantz
    LISTEN TO THIS MAN

5. ERIKHANSON

ERIKHANSON Member

BYOND:
    ErikHanson
    well, you know there is a suggestions forum, post in it and i'll get to it

6. cacogen

cacogen Member

BYOND:
    Cacogen
    I like the idea but the rewards you're offering aren't very proportional. Right now it seems like the easiest way to farm the system is to port old PRs. Not fix bugs and not create new features.

For the work that would go into coding a new gamemode two tokens is nothing. I'd expect ten tokens at least.

I'd also expect there to be a larger amount of tokens rewarded for creating an entirely new feature than for just porting something (though I understand it's worth more now due to the repo change).

All bug fixes should be eligible too, not just fixing other people's. Fixing your own bugs should be worth less, but it should still be rewarded because otherwise where's the incentive to bother?

Also, if there's a vote on a feature the amount of antag tokens given for creating it should be proportional to the amount of votes for it.

7. OP
    JamieH

JamieH Host Staff Member Head Admin

BYOND:
    JamieHankins
    The current priority is to port old PRs though, that's what our players want.

We need to be very careful about handing out tokens, otherwise we're going to saturate this "economy", I might need some kind of monthly pool, just to stop it getting out of hand.

I agree though, the system does need find tuning, I'm just using it atm to incentive people into getting our new codebase up to scratch.